Utah State University Nursing
Program Clinical Immunization and Testing Requirements
Once admitted (provisionally or fully) to a USU Nursing program you must complete an American Databank account to accept terms for background check and drug screen, and upload the following documentation. Some of these requirements take time to complete. Please be proactive in completing the requirements below.
- Urine Drug Screen (10 panel): You must have a Chain of Custody (COC) form to submit your drug screen. The COC gives the lab completing your drug test permission to post results directly to your American Databank (ADB) account. For those students who do not have an e-screen drug screen option, ADB will mail you the Chain of Custody (COC) form and instructions on completing the drug screen. Logan and Tooele students: your COC form is electronic (e-screen).
- Background Check: Your background check is initiated at the time of payment of your account to American Databank.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider: USU Nursing accepts only American Heart Association (AHA) BLS certification. Be cautious of sites that use wording such as, “using AHA guidelines” or similar, as these will not be accepted. If you have any questions, please contact your nursing department.
- TB testing:
- TWO 2-step tuberculin skin tests (aka PPD tests), or
- A negative Quantiferon Gold or T-Spot result, or
- A negative chest x-ray.
- If your x-ray test result is positive, we require documentation of normal chest x-ray provided by your physician or health department.
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR): Documentation of two vaccinations at CDC recommended intervals or laboratory evidence showing immunity (titer).
- Varicella (Chicken Pox): Documentation of two vaccinations given at CDC recommended intervals, or laboratory evidence showing immunity (titer).
- Hepatitis B or reactive titer: Documentation of a titer showing immunity (reactive). If your titer is non-reactive (not immune), obtain a booster Hep B vaccination, then wait 28 days and repeat the titer. If you have not had vaccinations for Hepatitis B previously, you must complete the first two vaccinations of a three-series process before the deadline for documentation submission, or the 2-series Heplisav-B vaccine series prior to the documentation deadline.
- TDaP: Documentation of TDaP vaccination given less than 8 years from the time of entrance to a USU Nursing program.
- CNA Certification: For Logan BSN, in-person students only: Upload your current CNA certificate to your American Databank Complio account by August 1.
- Flu vaccination: By November 1, you must upload documentation of flu vaccination (either vaccination or nasal spray) for the current flu season. This requirement should be completed after fall semester entrance to the program, so that your vaccine matches viruses expected to be circulating during the current flu season.